I started with Cookin' Diva's glutenacious recipe on Food.com. I took her suggestion to reduce the sugar, and instead of regular white and brown, I used a combo of organic sugar and molasses. I used my new favorite GF blend, Premium Gold. I added a pinch more xanthan gum than was already in the flour, plus a pinch more baking powder than the recipe called for. Then, to further lower the sugar count as well as the effort, I skipped the melted white chocolate on top and the grated orange rind.
For the bars:
2 sticks very soft butter
188 grams organic sugar
12 grams molasses
3 large eggs
2 tsp orange extract
224 grams Premium Gold flour blend or GF flour blend of choice
a pinch of xanthan gum (more if your GF blend does not already include it)
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
scant 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries, lightly chopped if not already sliced/chopped
3/4 cup dairy free or regular white chocolate chips
2 ounces vegan or regular cream cheese
18 grams butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract
200-230 grams organic powdered sugar
optional: 2 tsp - 1 tbsp non-dairy creamer or milk
Extra dried cranberries, sliced or chopped
Make the bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350, line a 10X15 jelly roll pan with parchment, then spray the parchment with coconut oil.
- Mix butter, sugar, and molasses in stand mixer or with hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time to incorporate,
- Add extract.
- Mix flour blend, xanthan gum, baking powder, ginger, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to butter/sugar mixture to incorporate.
- Fold in cranberries and white chocolate.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake for 18-22 minutes, just until edges are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean. Don't overbake.
Frosting and Topping:
- Using a hand mixer, mix cream cheese and butter in medium bowl until fluffy.
- Add extracts and incorporate.
- Gradually add sugar, mixing until smooth, light, and fluffy. Add creamer if needed to get a spreadable consistency.
- Spread frosting over cooled bars, then sprinkle cranberries on top.
- Cut into bars or triangles.
To freeze: Put one layer of bars in the container, then freeze a few minutes to harden the frosting. Put a layer of wax paper on top, then another layer of bars. Repeat until the container is full.
To serve: Remove frozen bars to a plate, then let thaw for a few minutes. Do not thaw bars while they are stacked in the freezer container.