Every gluten-free home should own a couple of her cookbooks.
This recipe is heavily adapted from the rice flour biscuits recipe in her book "You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free!" Her original recipe is also available online on at RobenRyberg.com.
My variation was motivated by a desire to use up some slightly iffy herbs before heading out to Grebar Farms tomorrow to get fresh ones.
Pumpkin Herb Biscuits
3.9 ounces Spectrum organic shortening
155 grams brown rice flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
About 1 Tbsp chopped mixed herbs: Sage, rosemary, thyme
1/3 to 1/2 cup canned organic pumpking, plus enough water to make 3/4 cup total
1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 (f) and liberally grease a big iron skillet or a cookie sheet.
- Mix shortening and flour together with until crumbly and lovely.
- Sprinkle baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and sea salt more or less evenly over the crumbly flour mixture. Stir & fold to distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle herbs over flour mixture and stir again to distribute evenly.
- Mix pumpkin and water in a liquid measuring cup. Add maple syrup and vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Sprinkle liquid stuff over the flour stuff, then stir gently to combine.
- Drop biscuits onto prepared skillet or cookie sheet, then gently shape a little with your fingers.
- Bake at 375 (f) for about 12-18 minutes.
- Makes 10-12 biscuits.