Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mozi Muffins

Now that I'm done with St. Pat for another year, my savory muffin obsession continues with thoughts of color.  Golden yellow has been calling me.

Mainly, yellow has been calling to me from the jar of turmeric my baby sister gave me for Christmas.

Most muffins are named after the main ingredient.  But no, these little guys aren't made from my baby sister. Rather, they're in honor of her, and her love affair with turmeric.

Vegetables and legumes
1/2 organic sweet onion, finely minced, sauteed in a small amount of olive oil
1 cup cooked red lentils (firmly packed, semi-drained)
 
Dry ingredients

90 g. brown rice flour
30 g. garbanzo flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp granulated garlic, or to taste
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/8 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cumin
3/8 tsp dried cilantro
Freshly ground pepper

Wet ingredients
1/2 cup "original" hazelnut milk (or milk substitute of choice)
55 grams salted organic butter, melted
1 egg
1 tsp pepper infused vinegar
 
Topping
Melted butter
Lightly toasted sesame seeds

  1. Preheat oven to 375(f) and line mini muffin tins with 24 muffin liners.
  2. Saute onion in olive oil until onion is translucent. Set aside.
  3. Whisk dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
  4. Whisk wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
  5. Add onions and lentils to wet ingredients and mix well.
  6. Stir in dry ingredients, and add more hazelnut milk if needed to get a nice batter consistency. The batter will look light and fluffy, and I think I hear a slight crackling sound as I stir it. Don't over mix.
  7. Spoon mixture into muffin liners, flatten gently with damp fingers, then brush with butter and top with toasted sesame seeds.
  8. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Since I'm still getting used to mini muffins, I have no idea how long that is.  Maybe about 8-12 minutes?  Be careful not to overcook them.  Mini muffins can get a bit dry.
  9. Cool in pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.


Mini muffins are cute, but they're a lot more work than regular sized muffins.




Yummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment