These brownies are fudgey, spicy, and just gooey enough.
Gluten-free Ginger-Cashew Brownies
4 ounces organic butter, melted & cooled.
54 g sorghum flour
70 g brown rice flour
200 g organic cane sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp ground ginger
2 eggs, beaten
3-4 Tbsp candied ginger
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand), divided. (Or more.)
1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- Grease a 9" square pan with coconut oil and heat the toaster (or real) oven to 350.
- Gently melt butter in a double boiler or a small pan. Do not microwave.
- Mix flours, sugar, salt, xanthan, and ginger in a medium mixing bow with a wire whisk.
- Sprinkle the candied ginger with a little of the flour mixture, then mince finely. You should have about 2 Tbsp when done. Set aside.
- Mix the butter and egg into the flour mixture, then stir in the ginger and half the chocolate chips. The mixture will thick.
- Dump the brownie mixture into the pan. Dampen your fingers and use them to pat the brownie mixture into the pan. Re-dampen fingers as needed, but don't drown the brownies.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and the cashews evenly over the top, then press down a little so they stay put. Sprinkle with as much cinnamon-sugar as you like, but don't go crazy.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes, til a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and cut into 12-16 squares.