The starting point for today's recipe came from one of Carol Fenster's books. But, by the time you turn yellow meal to blue, sugar to maple syrup, canola oil to grapeseed, milk to applesauce, and measures to weights -- and said weights might not round trip to Fenster's original measurements.... (Let's not get into the whole your-mileage-may-vary nature of measuring!) Then, you throw in stuff like cranberries, pecans, walnuts, and vanilla.... I guess at some point I get to call it my own thing, don't I?
So, here it is: Applesauce Blue Cornbread with Cranberries and Nuts. My own thing, sort of. Changes from Fenster's ingredients in blue.
· 1 ¼ cups blue cornmeal (120 g)
· 1 cup GF Flour Blend of choice (~124 g)
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
· 1 teaspoon salt
· ⅓ cup maple syrup
· 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
· 5.5 oz applesauce
· 3.5 oz milk of choice
· ⅓ cup grapeseed oil
· ¼ tsp vanilla
· 1/3 cup nuts (pecans and walnuts)
· 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
· Extra nuts for topping (opt.)
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Generously spray an 8- or 9-inch square pan. Set aside.
2. In small bowl, whisk dry ingredients together until well blended.
3. In medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients until blended.
4. Mix dry stuff into wet stuff and whisk until blended. Stir in the nuts and cranberries.
5. Pour into prepared pan and top with nuts, if desired.
6. Bake until top is firm and edges are lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Serves 12 - 16.